I’m happy to announce that BFKS is back. For those of you who don’t know, BFKS usually stands for “Bowl For Kids’ Sake.” It’s one of the biggest fundraisers for Big Brothers Big Sisters of Southern MN and has taken place annually for decades. However, due to the pandemic, the wise leaders at BBBS changed “Bowl” to “Bocce ball” and are moving the event outdoors. They’re increasing the number of sessions to enable sanitary precautions and social distancing. It starts in Faribault MN on Sept 16-19, then moves to Owatonna Sept.22-26.
Big Brothers Big Sisters is my “Jam”
I’ve been a Big Brother for almost 20 years. Long ago, I decided it was the best way I knew to give back to my community and help make it better. It’s been a rewarding, yet tough at times, experience. From day one of my writing career, I decided to donate ONE DOLLAR ($1.00) to BBBS for every copy readers buy of any of my books. Over the years, the majority of those sales have been at live author events. I hand-sell my books and offer to personally sign them for the buyers. It’s a great way to meet fans and tell them about BBBS. I’ve even persuaded a few fans of mine to become Bigs.
Here are photos of my Little Brothers. Zach (on left) surprised me at my book launch for Castle Danger long after our match had officially ended. We still keep in touch. Ethan (right) has been a wonderfully persistent and effective salesman at several book signings, especially at one of my first book launches for Straight River.
In 2019, I was able to donate almost ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS to BBBS from book sales and extra contributions. Unfortunately, my 2020 donation will probably be much smaller since my live author event sales have been almost zero. So having BFKS return will be a great way to jump-start my book sales AND raise funds through participants soliciting donations from friends and family when they sign up to play Bocce ball For Kid’s Sake.
HERE’S HOW YOU CAN HELP BBBS:
- Go to: Big Brothers Big Sisters of Southern MN and make a donation.
- Visit the BFKS page to form your own Bocce Ball team and participate by raising funds. It’s a great activity for groups of friends, or as a team builder for businesses.
- Donate directly to MY BFKS team, The Johnsonville Brats (it’s an inside joke). Help us reach our fundraising goal. Any donation amount is appreciated.
- Buy a signed copy of any or all of my three books at my Website Store for $20. Taxes and free shipping are included!
- Visit your favorite bookstore and purchase (or order) your copy of Straight River, Castle Danger, or Cooked to Death, Vol. V, Restaurant in Peace.
Click on my Events & Appearances Page to check the schedule for BFKS if you decide to participate or visit my booth. I hope to be there selling books every day, but bad weather or last-minute obligations may alter that plan.